These egg muffins is a keto-friendly breakfast idea that's super easy to make in as little as half an hour. You can take them with you or prepare as a school lunch for kids.
Keto-Friendly Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 1 medium rutabaga (swede), finely grated (you can skip this or replace with a carrot, for instance, but we highly recommend trying a rutabaga for juicy and incredibly delicious muffins)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100 g Cheddar, Gouda or another creamy, high-fat cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped spring onions for serving
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter to grease the pan
- Preheat oven to 190˚C (375˚F). Oil a non-stick muffin tin (with 6 or more muffins). Alternatively, line the tin with silicone muffin liners.
- Combine the grated rutabaga, chopped onion, a little bit of salt and pepper to taste and mix everything while squishing lightly so that the onion becomes soft and juicy. Distribute evenly among a 6 count muffin tin.
- Grate the cheese and distribute evenly among the muffin tin, on top of the vegetables, leaving a little bit of the cheese to add to the top of the muffins.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and 3 tablespoon heavy cream, adding salt to taste. Distribute the mixture evenly among the muffin tin. Add the remaining cheese to the top of the muffins.
- Bake at 190˚C (375˚F) for approx. 25 min until lightly browned. You can check with a toothpick - once it comes out fairly clean from the center of the muffin, your muffins are ready.
- Serve with chopped spring onions, fresh vegetables (like cucumber or tomatoes) of your choice and mayonnaise or enjoy the muffins without any additions. They're perfect just the way they are!